Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Forgiven

Reigate. Where in the heck was Reigate? Somewhere in Surrey, I figured.

“Ummmm, Reigate?” I asked. The same kind policeman printed out the train schedules to Reigate/Redhill for me. (Oh look! It’s almost to Gatwick. Oh goody. And here I was trying to think of something interesting to do tomorrow!)

The taxi took me back to Ascot, where Aphrodite let me into the house at about 4:15 am. She said, “You know, it occurred to me tonight, I’ve NEVER gotten a good night’s sleep before a standardized test.”

“I’m sorry, dolly. Let’s go to sleep.”

I slept until 6 am. All of about 2 hours.

And then I called Mr D.

“Good morning!” he said. “How are you?” (Crazy upbeat morning person! But he’s MY crazy upbeat morning person...)

“Not so good. I...(choke back tears here) ... got arrested for drink/drive last night.”

“Oh noooooo! I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you ok?”

“I am SO SO SO DUMB!!!! So stupid!!

And then, do you know what he said?

“Hey, no one was killed, everyone’s all right. Don’t be too hard on yourself, okay? Everybody makes mistakes. You’re only human, in case you forgot.”

That’s why I love this guy. Just what I needed to hear. I’m not sure yet that I can forgive myself, but he has.

Amazing. Amazing grace.

No comments: